Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Birds of Bachelor Lane by Hannah McNiven

 



With the name of Wren as one of the characters I knew I was in for a treat!  I was eagerly looking forward to reading this book by an author as I have read one of her books before.  I had no clue how wonderful this was going to be.

The story was about this small village and the drama that goes on behind the walls of a few families.  I felt like I was watching a PBS drama.  I couldn't wait for the next chapter (episode).  

The drama that was played out had me on the edge of my seat.  I actually felt like I was part of the story.  I had to warn Wren about Bertie.  I wanted to shake Lili. I loved Ewan and the way he treasured and loved his wife.  

A beautiful story that easily could be adapted into a movie.  I would buy a ticket.  

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.


About Hannah McNiven

Hannah grew up on a farm in rural Ireland where she spent her childhood riding horses and chasing or being chased by many other animals (mostly cows). Thanks to her parents and siblings, she became a voracious reader. From reading novels by the Bröntes to Evelyn Waugh to Phillipa Gregory, Sebastian Faulks and Pat Barker (there was plenty of Enid Blyton too), Hannah has developed a love of historical and literary fiction which has influenced her own writing. She has an especial interest in stories that occur around the time of, and during, World War One and Two. She sometimes feels that she was, perhaps, born in the wrong era but then remembers how useful the internet is when it comes to researching her work. She is also proud of her Scottish and Irish heritage, believing that there is nowhere more beautiful on Earth than the verdant hills and rugged countryside of these places which are the perfect setting for her work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Return to Love's Promise

No.  It can't end there.  There has to be another page.  This is how I felt when I finished this latest addition to the The Amish Bonnet...